Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Asian Chicken With Veggies and Rice Recipe

Asian Chicken With Veggies and Rice Recipe

I have to admit that this recipe started as an attempt to make a crockpot Teriyaki chicken but it did not thicken. It is really tasty though with a great sweet ginger taste.




It also is packed full of vegetables with 3-4 colors reresented: orange, red, green and beige if you count the mushrooms. Aren't they beautiful all diced up!? Make sure to dice your veggies small in this so they don't overpower the star of the dish: the chicken! Recipe is below after you hit the read more link.









So I started with marinating the chicken. I added water, soy sauce, brown sugar and molasses into a ziploc bag then cut the chicken into thin small strips. Next I added the chicken to the bag, sealed it and made sure all the chicken was covered with sauce and let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour (or really until after I got back from the post office). To save time I also put the rice cooker on for the fried rice (below) before I left for my errands. I <3 my rice cooker. 

  • Marinade (Optional)
  • 2 ½ lbs chicken (boneless skinless breasts or thighs)
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 tbs Soy sauce
  • 4 tbs brown sugar
  • 2 tbs molasses

After it was finished marinating (or after getting back from the post office) I got the crock pot ready. I made a new sauce for the slow cooker because if you don't boil the marinade it may not be safe to use it in the rest of the recipe so I discarded it.. I added all the ingredients below into the cooker and mixed it well then removed the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon and put it in the cooker as well. Then I threw away the ziploc bag and marinade. I cooked it on high for 3 hours. Just keep checking it though and when the chicken is finished you can turn it off. 


Ingredients for the slow cooker:
  • 6 oz pineapple juice
  • ½ cup soy sauce
  • 3 tbs brown sugar
  • 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
  • 2 tbs vegetable oil
  • 2 tbs molasses






Tip
: I didn't want to mince my ginger by hand so
 I used my fine cheese grater (above).  Just don't forget to peel it!



Now for the fried rice! 
I chopped my  carrots, mushrooms, peppers, onions, celery (small) and put them to the side. Next I heated 1 tbs cooking oil on medium heat in a nonstick pan and added in ginger and garlic for about 15 seconds. Then I turned my pan to med high and added in all my vegetables one at a time (with the one that takes the longest to cook going first and so on) until they were almost cooked fully. When finished I added in the rice, soy sauce, mirin and cooked it until it was hot. 

Fried Rice Ingredients
  • med red pepper
  • ¾ cup chopped mushrooms
  • ¾ cup shredded and chopped carrots
  • 1/4 cup celery
  • 1 cup frozen small peas
  • 1 tbs cooking oil
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbs sesame oil
  • 2 tbs soy sauce
  • 1 tbs mirin
  • 4 cups leftover rice

You can switch out whatever veggies you want to go with what you have on hand or that you like the best - its your call! If you want to make it completely gluten-free be sure to buy gluten-free soy sauce.

The last thing I did was take the chicken out of the crock pot with a slotted spoon to drain it and added it to the rice. Then I took about a 1/2 cup of the juice from the crock pot and mixed it in as well.  Once it was all mixed up it made 10-12 Mealpods.

When we put this recipe in livestrong it has both the marinades in the nutritional information, but as you can see only a half cu of it goes into the actual rice mix. So the calories etc will actually be lower than on the .pdf. 

Here's the pdf for easy printing!
Asian Chicken With Veggies and Rice Recipe

-- Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment