Sunday Cooking with Sis (Part One)
Wow. I'm back. The holidays always make me disappear. I was super excited to get back to my normal routine this week. I always feel so much better when everything is prepped for the week the way I like it.
I wanted easy, yummy food this week, nothing complicated, to get me back in the swing of things. While I was going through recipes I saved I decided I really wanted to make something with the delicious homemade apple sausage that my local grocery store makes. Plus, my mom sent me home with a bag of apples that needed a recipe before they went bad. My Googlefu presented me with a couple of options which I rearranged to fit my needs.
Sweet Potato Sausage & Apple Casserole Recipe
3 large sweet potatoes
4 chicken apple sausage links
1 tsp maple sugar (or sweetener of choice)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cook sausages and reserve drippings
- Bake sweet potatoes until completely soft. Remove skin and mash with butter, maple syrup/sugar (or sweetener of choice) and cinnamon. Spread in bottom of 9 x 13 glass casserole dish.
- Slice cooked sausages into circles and place in single layer on top of sweet potatoes.
- Thinly slice apples and place on top of the sausage layer.
- Take sausage drippings and drizzle on top of apple slices. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. Bake until apples are soft.
Portion into 8 foil pods, let cool, then freeze.
It smells almost as good as it tastes! I wish my pictures could convey my end food product better. My sister bought me a bag of accessories to present my food and take better pictures. Hopefully, you will see my skills improve as the year goes on.